Wednesday, September 24

Thoughts on Recycling and Frugality?

I am not the biggest tree-hugger... but our natural resources are a concern for me. So this post by Toni really caught my thoughts. What do you think? Beyond just kitchen recycling, Do you reuse your supplies? Do you use every scrap of paper or are you constantly reaching for new supplies? Do you open the glue/paint bottles and drain every last little drop? What about lotion and shampoo? Do you have more than one open at a time? How far do you take your recycling and how much of it do you do to "Save the Planet" and how much to save a buck?????

~Anne

10 Comments Welcome!:

Anonymous said...

Great thoughts! I am definitely in the 50/50 group. I am not a tree hugger, at all, but I don't like that fact that every Wednesday I see overflowing garbage cans up and down my street and recyle bins that are half empty. I really love to save money, and I like to be creative with my stuff. If I can make something last, why not do it! It doesn't hurt to recycle... I especially love recycling that actually reuses something, like donating old eye glasses or tennis shoes, that seems to make an immediate impact. Just my $0.02.
Toni

Kathy Gerace said...

Hi Anne! Glad you're back. I use quite a few of my cardstock and DP scraps. For years our village had a "dump" where we could take our recycles for no fee. Then it was discontinued, so now the recycle stuff goes in the can with everything else. I really do turn my bottles and jars upside down to get every last drop out of them that I can. I rarely have more than one of anything open at the same time. Good food for thought about saving our environment and making it a better, cleaner place to live.

Marge said...

Great thoughts on recycling; I drain every bottle/jar/bag to the last drop/crumb because growing up that was how you saved/made it stretch in tough times! Guess old habits dye hard, but in this case, it's a GOOD thing!!! ;-)

Becky said...

Great reminders about recycling. I never throw out cardstock, you never know then a tiny piece is just right for your next card!

Marcia Francois said...

Hi Anne

You asked about lists over at my site...

I spend about 10 minutes planning every week on my business and another 10 - 15 mins on the household stuff (meals and grocery lists). Then daily I use my eat the frog list (about 2 minutes a day) which you can get for free at my website, http://takechargesolutions.org

Hope this helped :)

Heidi said...

I try and recycle as much as I can. Here in the UK the local authority collects glass, paper, plastic bottles, batteries etc, and composts all the food waste. I save my tetrapaks and put them in a recycling bank. I have stopped collecting plastic bags from shops and use jute bags instead.
As for crafting stuff, I try and use every last piece of paper and scrap of ribbon!

Chrissie said...

Having been born just a couple of months after the end of the war (and not the Boer War as my husband would have you believe) I was brought up with the philosophy that NOTHING should be wasted. As Heidi said, we have recycling collections for all those things, and even collections for clothes and bric a brac from time to time by various charities.
Left over food gets refridgerated and either reheated or transformed into a new dish. Some recipe books are full of recipes for reusing cold meats etc.
When it comes to crafting, I wish I could throw more in the recycle bin. My craft room if full to overflowing with all sorts of bits and pieces.
There are a couple of cards on my blog made using recycled elements. There is an ongoing challenge blog called Artzy Girls Recycle Challenge which may appeal to you. Take a look!
Enough for one post!!!
Chrissie

Chrissie said...

I was just checking th link I gave there and I think I may have made a boo boo with some of the code, but I'm sure google will find it!I'll try one moe time... Artzy Girls Recycle Challenge
Chrissie

Marcia Francois said...

I suspect that if we had more resources available to recycle everything, I would.

I just hate waste - always have. I recycle paper and yes, I cut open tubes to get every last drop out :)

Anne, thanks for your long, lovely comment on my post, decluttering electronically. You absolutely get it and I love it :)

Indio Carpet Cleaning said...

Thoughtful blog you have here

Popular Posts


Grab My Button!
(copy/paste into your own
website or blog):

Pixel of Ink

Pixel of Ink

My Daily Reads