Tuesday, May 5

Pot Pie for Dinner Tonight!


Chicken, Beef or Turkey... this pot pie took 10 minutes prep time, 30 minutes bake time.











Here are the ingredients:

2 cups of chopped Turkey

2/3 cups mixed veggies (any mix, frozen or fresh)

2 cups chopped, cooked potatoes

2 cups gravy (canned, powder mix, or homemade)

1 deep dish pie crust

Last Thanksgiving we had friends over. I cooked everything. A couple days before, she showed up with a turkey. I already had a turkey. I cooked her turkey and left mine in the freezer. Until the Freezer Frenzy in March. Then I pulled that 23 pound turkey out and baked it, divided it up by slicing most and chopping the rest. So tonight it was easy to pull a package of 2 cups chopped turkey from the freezer.
I used the cheap-o veggie mix, also in the freezer.

Last night we had mashed potatoes. I needed to use up some spuds and just kept peeling until they were all in the pan. Before mashing, I set aside a few cups of the chopped potatoes which I was able to pull out of the fridge for tonight.

I suppose I could have made homemade gravy when I made the turkey, or at least saved the broth, but didnt do either this time. Out comes the trusty *fake* gravy mix. I love this stuff. No mention, of course, for how bad it is for you....
And a cheap store-brand premade pie crust... I do not make pie crust. I hate working with pie crust so much that I dont even top this pot pie. You can top it. Go ahead! Make your own crust if you want! Dont let me stop you from making this more work.



So... combine the ingredients, pour in the crust and toss in the oven at 350 degrees for 30 - 45 minutes.
Dinner's ready!
AND there are a ton of other options to consider here:

  • type of meat
  • type of veggies
  • replace the gravy with cream of something soup
  • place in a casserole dish and top with biscuits
  • make a bunch at once, wrap, freeze and stack. (to reheat from fully frozen, bake at 325 for an hour and 15 minutes.)
  • nuke some potatoes or use baked potatoes
  • replace the potatoes with cauliflower chopped small
  • use raw potatoes and veggies... increase bake time to 1 hour- not frozen
  • Divide into smaller measurments and make individual pies or meat pockets.
What will you do for dinner tonight???
~Anne

3 Comments Welcome!:

Controlling My Chaos said...

Oh I'm comin' to your house for dinner, that's what I'm doing. You've got it all planned out and I need a plan.

Cat said...

Oh my gosh, that looks SUPER yummy!!!! I am sooo trying it!!

Kendra at New Life On A Homestead said...

Thank you so much for sharing your freezer food recipes! I'm sure I'll be adding some of them to my stockpile for before baby comes. Thanks so much for your encouraging comments too!! It always helps to hear from others who know what you are going through :)

Popular Posts


Grab My Button!
(copy/paste into your own
website or blog):

Pixel of Ink

Pixel of Ink

My Daily Reads